European Recommendations for Action to Protect Public Spaces against Terrorist Attacks
Safe Space for Safer Cities (SafeCi), coordinated by the Berlin Police, is a two-and-a-half-year European security project for the protection of public spaces against terrorist attacks.
Between 2016 and 2019, 595 attacks were committed across Europe (EU Terrorism Situation Trend Report, Europol). The terrorist attacks of recent years have shown that security is a joint task of the European Union.The aim of the project was to analyse and evaluate existing concepts, strategies and technical solutions to improve the protection of public spaces and to ensure public safety in Europe.
SafeCi brought together and gave structure to existing know-how. The results have been summarised in a handbook "European Recommendations for Action to Protect Public Spaces against Terrorist Attacks".
The handbook discusses six core topics and contains 25 examples of good practice in Europe. The core topics of the handbook are:
- Risk and hazard assessment for public spaces
- Structural protection of public spaces against terrorist attacks
- Event protection in public spaces
- The protection of critical infrastructure
- Innovative approaches to protecting public spaces
- Awareness-raising strategies for the protection of public spaces